Tuesday, January 1, 2013

1: Into The Wilderness

Ok, so here's the deal... At the age of 45, I found myself a first-time father of twins, Cassidy and Griffin, currently 7 months old.

To be clear, it wasn't a surprise.

On the contrary, my wife and I had been trying for a few years to have a kid with no luck. We'd married late in life, and knew that the odds were against us. We'd mentally prepared to spend the rest of our lives together, traveling to interesting places, eating at nice restaurants, spoiling the nieces and nephews, enjoying time with our friends and just generally live a good, happy life pleasing only ourselves.

Then we found out we were finally pregnant. And everything changed. Well, most everything. In the movie version, the stork comes and we live in family bliss for the rest of our days.

Turns out real life is a little bit, well, messier. And I was (and still am) completely unprepared for everything fatherhood entails. Oh, everyone will try to tell you, but you can't really comprehend. And being 45 only complicates things further.

I've decided over the coming year to document what I've learned, in the hopes that it might help any other older new dads who find themselves walking down this scary road.

So, if you end up following in my footsteps, having a child (or multiples) later in life, consider this blog and future posts a survival guide, a path through the wilderness.

Because, trust me, what you thought you knew was wrong. You can't begin to imagine the horrors that await you. You'll be covered in pee, poop, vomit, and snot and you'll actually not mind after awhile. It's sort of like college, I guess.

Except you'll enjoy it more.



No comments:

Post a Comment